Monday, February 23, 2009

Twitter vs. Facebook

I've always been a reluctant, sporadic user of Facebook. Why? I just didn't think I had the time to interact on the site. So I log on a few times a week, mostly when an email is sent to me alerting me to the fact that someone has added me as a friend or written on my wall. I've posted photos on my Facebook site after special events or trips, but I haven't found a way to make it part of my daily routine.

In October, I attended the PRSA International Conference in Detroit, and the main buzz of almost every presentation I attended was about Twitter. A few weeks later, I set up my first Twitter account. I didn't really get it at first, but now I "tweet" quite often and always follow other "tweets." Why my enthusiasm for Twitter? It seems to be a "hub" for information that I'm seeking as I prep for classes or investigate a trip or find out about the latest happenings with the Detroit Tigers. I can follow news organizations, social media experts, and other users who post relevant links to information that I'm seeking.

I guess it boils down to this: I care more about information that is relevant to my life and my work than I do about whether a Facebook friend has cleaned her kitchen that day or found a new favorite song. I like both sites, but right now, Twitter is my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment